Friday 9 January 2015

Limited

I find myself competing, something i can't ever beat. Every crafter has a limit, a limit of space, or a limit of funds or a limit of sources for their craft materials.
Right now i'm fighting both space and funds. But i'm also fighting something inside. The thoughts of my cards not being good enough. Good enough for who though? I've had good feedback from people who have received my cards but at the same time, seeing designs online, i'm seriously lacking in the creativeness department but also in the equipment area too.


My embossing is done with a Fiskars Shape Boss Mini (video below in links, found, not made by me. ) and my die cuts are bought off Ebay. Someone else has cut them out. Take the design above, a lovely lady has punched out each single flower, and then die cut each of the layers and the vase shape. I just used what sticky fixers and gems i have that i think will fit the style i'm trying to create. Each flower is put together with tweezers and the odd moment of a naughty word and retrying to get them centred correctly. then they trying to put the gem on, in the hope it won't ping across the kitchen ,where i using do my cardmaking.

Now this card is for a family member, using her favourite colours and hopefully she will be very happy, but i'm wondering am i good enough at this. No i don't have the latest gadgets and gizmos and i don't shop at the top of the list craftshops, buying the latest trending must haves, but i am using my imagination to use what i have, not what some craft mag says i must have. Don't get me wrong, i love 60% of the craft magazines out there, and papercraft and cross stitch mags fill my shelves, but i can't afford to copy or try the latest techniques. I can't just grab someone and go to the large craft store and buy every embossing powder, washi tape and die cut. At the end of the day i am a single mum with illness/disability and living of a limited income. I use what i can afford.

Of course like any crafter I have books on most craft subjects, to look for ideas, or new ways to make something from that coloured bit of card at the back of the craft shelf. But the only time i copy is when i cross stitch a chart, something i'm still trying to do with the hedgehog i started. It's been sidelined at the mo, due to issues with which is light grey and which is the off white thread? But i guess, what i am trying to say, is that you don't need the latest must haves, what you create is inside you and even with minimal bits, you can create something of beauty. Happy crafting!

Links :- Fiskars Shape Boss Mini ~ Tutorial
             Ebay ~ Punched out flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.