Thursday 28 May 2015

Copying Creation

Yesterday the latest from Mollie Makes popped through my door. Bedtime reading sorted. Geometric shapes used on a necklace, leather used to make bracelets, a free kit of a crochet dream catcher, and a knitting pattern for a cactus cushion being some of the favourites, but also a crochet hot-dog eye patch and others that for now escape my mind. I read from cover to cover, devouring all the ideas and info as well as wishing i could both crochet and knit! Garter stitch isn't going to make the grade if i want to make a cactus cushion!

But an article that was so interesting was the one regarding selling online and the issue of being accused of copying someone's ideas. With Pinterest, Facebook, Etsy and all manner of other sites which have crafts sellers showing their wares, i'm sure that it's very easy to see what appear to be repeated designs, from various corners of the world, but sometimes it is pure chance that an idea matches someone else's. All crafters know that a person's design has taken work to complete, and time to make the design work, even a pattern takes a lot of trial and error to make the design work.

Now i buy patterns off Etsy, mostly cross stitch, but i have been known to buy the odd embroidery design here and there too. I buy them, not to copy, but to make the design, for pure pleasure and sometimes to make for a friend or family member. Same as i read craft magazines, to gain ideas, or make a gift for someone. Selling never crosses my mind, as i know it's some of my work, but the design is all the designers effort and for that reason i'm grateful for all their hard work, that has given me pleasure to make something. However, i also do jewellery making, (when my hands work) and also card making. I have jewellery magazines, and plenty of card-making magazines. Again i don't buy them to copy, i buy to find new ideas, and techniques that i can try and off course the odd freebie that i know will be fun to play with. When i do jewellery i go with what is in my head, what beads jump out at me, and what charms i have in my stash. Colours or occasions inspire too. Right now, kitsch charms and beads are on my mind, bright colours for summer, but also card-making is never far from my mind either, something with a beach theme building in my head as i type, maybe an ice-cream charm will be added to the final card, or a die cut picture will be placed under a dome in a charm tray, who knows. Today my creative juices are flowing, but only time will tell what is made, but i know i won't be copying, half the fun is the design process, and to copy, you just don't get that buzz from making something unique.

Happy Crafting, whatever you decide to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.